The main thought that strikes the mind when browsing business laptops is why you should buy one rather than a consumer laptop? And how can you choose the best business laptop for 2020? There are a couple of things that differentiate a business laptop from a consumer one.
- The build quality – Business is superior to consumer laptops.
- Software and services – Less freeware software.
Furthermore, the security options, matte screens, and battery extensions are also key points. Some of the elite business laptops are listed below, with their pros and cons so you can browse through them with ease and find help to make the optimum choice for the best business laptops in 2020.
- Lenovo ThinkPad T470 – Best Business Laptop 2020
- Asus Chromebook Flip C302CA – Best Business Chromebook 2020
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon – Best Business Ultrabook
- Microsoft Surface Pro – Best Business Detachable Windows Tablet
- Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar – King of Business Laptops
- HP Spectre x360 – Best Ultraportable 2-in-1 Business Laptop
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga – The Best in Portability
- Dell XPS 15 – The Best 15-inch Business Laptop 2020
1. Lenovo ThinkPad T470 – Best Business Laptop 2020
- Processor: Intel Quad Core i5-8250U (1.6GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Cache); Graphics: Intel UHD 620
- Features: 8GB RAM, 250GB Solid State Drive, Fingerprint Reader, WiFi + BT
- Display: 14" HD LED 1366x768; Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
- Warranty: 1 Year Lenovo Warranty \ 1 Year Oemgenuine Warranty
- Memory & Hard Drive Upgrade | * - View Product Description for complete details and notes
The Lenovo ThinkPad T470 offers excellent performance with the 7th generation Intel Core i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, and 32 GB of storage space. It also has ultra-fast SSD storage, as its drive has no moving parts and performs faster, boosting speed up to 3 times, opening files 30% quicker, and transferring files at around 200 MB/s compared to 50-120 MB/s. Add to that, it is quieter, more reliable, and has more security. The Lenovo ThinkPad T470 is easy to set up and quick to service, upgrade and secure. It can be used by everyday users or IT technicians as it was designed to get everyone through life and work easily. There’s Windows Hello’s advanced fingerprint technology available to save you lest you forget your password. With a simple touch, you can log in, fast and securely. The ThinkPad T470 comes with Intel Thunderbolt 3, the technology that brings lightning-fast Thunderbolt to USB-C at speed up to 40 GB/s. This gives you four times the data and twice the video bandwidth of any other port type, all while supplying power and connections up to two 4K displays (Thunderbolt Dock).
The Lenovo ThinkPad T470 comes with two batteries and Power Bridge technology, so it gives you flexibility and up to 18 hours of battery life on a single charge. It has 4G connectivity, so you can still access all your cloud data and apps if you’re not in the range of Wi-Fi. It also has an HD camera and dual-array microphones with background noise reduction for perfect voice and video calls. With the award-winning economic ThinkPad keyboard mixed with its refined Trackpad and TrackPoint, rest-assured you’re going to find your performance smoother, cleaner, and more accurate.
Although the screen size is relatively small, there is an HDMI port to enhance your display. As office desks can get cluttered, you can check out an edgeless monitor to really make the most of the space.
- Sustainable Design
- Great keyboard and screen
- Replaceable battery with great battery life
- Amazing performance
- Quite pricey
- The webcam isn’t the best
Generally, the Lenovo ThinkPad T470 is a good choice because it combines a set of good features and top-notch technology, but it could cost more than the average business laptop. We recommend it for the best business laptop in 2020.
2. Asus Chromebook Flip C302CA – Best Business Chromebook 2020
- The flexible 360 Degree hinge and 12.5 inches full HD touchscreen lets you use the C302 in tablet or laptop mode
- Intel Core Processor with 64GB storage and 4GB RAM for fast and efficient performance with a bright backlit illuminated keyboard
- Extremely lightweight at 2.65 pounds with the protection of a sleek aluminum metal body
- Starts up in seconds and lasts all day, thanks to a long battery life rated upto 10 hours
- Make sure latest chrome version is upto date and is using the device in stable channel
The Asus Chromebook Flip C302CA comes with great features. It has a stylish and compact design, a 16:9 wide-viewing angle, and 1920 x 1080 FHD display. An all-metal body is made out of durable aluminum and able to withstand nearly anything. The unique 360-degree hinge allows you to use the business laptop in numerous ways (laptop, tablet or tent mode). The 12.5 inches full HD screen which automatically adjusts its brightness makes the laptop ideal for group viewings. With 10 points multi-touch, it is more accurate and responsive than the average screens, so your experience with the Chromebook will be enhanced, as it makes it fun and easy to use.
Keyboard and touchpad
The full-size one-piece chiclet keyboard has improved back assembly and provides 1.4mm of key travel and minimal key float, so you can type smoother and with more precision. The touchpad is 104.5 x 61 mm wide, and it has palm rejection to prevent any accidental movement by unintentional touching.
The Asus Chromebook Flip C302CA is powered by up to 6th generation Intel Core M3 processor, supports up to 4 GB DRAM. So it turns on instantly and runs apps smoothly. It also has 64 GB storage. It also has two USB-C ports for transferring media up to 5Gbps while keeping complete backward compatibility. It also has two USB-C ports for transferring media up to 5Gbps while keeping complete backward compatibility. Stay connected with the 802.11 ac WiFi speed 3 times faster than 802.11n. It also has superb Bluetooth 4.0 for even faster connectivity.
- Light design
- Great performance
- Comfortable keyboard and trackpad
- 360 degrees hinge
- Android app is still in beta
- Battery life could be improved
The hinge, touchscreen, and support for Google Apps make the Asus Chromebook Flip C302CA a great choice with the variety of options it has to offer. If you’re okay with the idea of Chromebooks then this is the best business laptop for you due to the huge difference between the prices of Chromebooks and Normal Business Laptops.
Read more about Chromebooks: Best Chromebooks
3. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon – Best Business Ultrabook
- Intel Core i5-8350U (4C, 1. 7 / 3. 6GHz, 6MB).
- 8GB RAM, Soldered.
- 256GB SSD M. 2 PCIe NVMe Opal2.
- 14" FHD (1920x1080) IPS Anti-glare.
- Windows 10 Pro 64.
The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is ahead of its rivals with a 7th generation Intel Core processors, lightning-fast Thunderbolt 3, and a 14 inches quad-HD display, added to the ThinkPad and support. It has an 8% smaller footprint than previous generations and its dimensions are 13 x 0.8 x 8.9 inches, so it’s easier to move around, hold, carry, and simply take wherever you go. With even more processing power, more memory, and more storage; so you don’t have to sacrifice anything for portability. It is durable and can stand spilled drinks, drops and knocks, with four layers of carbon-fiber-reinforced chassis and magnesium alloy roll-cage for extra strength. You can access all your data and apps in the cloud if you’re out of range of WiFi connection with the optional Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A. The battery options are amazing; it lasts up to 15.5 hours, and the rapid charging feature provides 80% capacity in just one hour, which backs you up in case you’re running low. Thunderbolt 3 technology allows you to transfer data at 40 GB/s through USB-C ports. And with the Thunderbolt Dock, you can output two 4K displays.
- Long battery life
- Amazing display
- Extremely light
- Dim screen
- Tinny sound
Though it isn’t the most feature-packed, the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon has a perfect combination of long battery life, top-notch keyboard, and slim, compact design.
4. Microsoft Surface Pro – Best Business Detachable Windows Tablet
- A best in class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet
- More power now with the new 8th Generation Intel Core processor
- Ultra slim and light, starting at just 1.7 pounds. Sensors : Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope
- All day battery life, with upto 13.5 hours of video playback
- Pair with our signature type cover in luxurious Alcantara material and rich colors for a full keyboard experience
The Microsoft Surface Pro can be used in laptop mode, by opening the built-in Kickstand and adding the new Surface Pro Signature Type cover with its top-notch Alcantara material and responsive keyboard. In studio mode, by lowering the Kickstand, with a deeper, next-generation hinge to place Surface Pro in Studio Mode for the optimum angle to write or draw with the new Surface Pen. Or finally, in the tablet mode, by closing the Kickstand and removing or folding Surface Pro Signature Type Cover back for a strong, stand-alone Intel tablet. It’s like having three devices in one! The Microsoft Surface Pro boasts battery life to 50% more than Surface Pro 4, 2.5 times better performance than Surface Pro 3, and fastest startup and resume of any Surface pro so far. It offers up to 13.5 hours of battery life, RAM size 16 GB, and an astounding 1TB, 512 GB, 256 GB or 128 GB of storage. The vivid display gives you the motivation to work and be creative, as you watch your ideas come to life in amazing colors and sharp resolution on the 12.3 inches PixelSense display. You can enjoy the quietness of the fanless cooling system on the m3 and i5 models, and improved hybrid cooling on the i7 model, so you can work and stream your shows in tranquillity. With dimensions 11.5 x 7.9 x 0.33 inches you can create, study, work, and play anywhere. It’s light 1.7 lbs weight makes it quite portable, and the softly rounded edges help its portability.
- Better and improved battery life
- Most sensitive Surface Pen to date
- Amazing performance
- Screen resolution is better than full HD
- Type cover and pen are sold separately
- No USB-C and Thunderbolt 3
With better performance, longer battery life, and other improvements over its forerunners, the Microsoft Surface Pro holds a position for 2-in-1 windows tablets.
5. Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar – King of Business Laptops
- 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 Processor
- Brilliant Retina Display with True Tone technology
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
- Ultrafast SSD
The Apple MacBook Pro comes with a Touch bar with integrated Touch ID sensor. You can choose the color; silver or space gray. It comes with 2 processor options, 2.8 GHz or 2.9 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8 GHz or 3.9 GHz respectively, and 6 MB or 8 MB shared L3 cache respectively. Its storage is 256 GB, or 512 GB, with a standard memory of 16 GB. It has four Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports that support charging, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt which transfers up to 40 GB/s. With great connectivity through 802.11ac WiFi wireless networking, and 4.2 wireless Bluetooth. Its battery life is 10 hours for wireless web, or iTunes movie playback, and up to 30 days of standby time.
- Excellent processor
- Great connectivity
- The brilliance of MacOS
- Amazing design
- Battery life isn’t very good
- Graphics aren’t strong
- Only has USB-C ports
If you’re looking for a creative experience, the Apple MacBook Pro would make a very enjoyable product for you. It’s the top of the high-end laptops.
6. HP Spectre x360 – Best Ultraportable 2-in-1 Business Laptop
- Stunning style from any angle: Amazingly thin and light in a visually stunning metal body, this convertible PC is a masterful blend of design and performance.
- Processor: Intel Core i7-7500U with Intel HD Graphics 520 (2.7 GHz, up to 3.1 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores) with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
- Impressive performance. All day portability. Enjoy lightning-fast performance throughout the day on this premium x360 with a longer lasting battery life for your non-compromising schedule.
- 13.3" diagonal FHD IPS Radiance Infinity LED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080) Display, Up to 12 hours battery life, Windows 10 Home 64 bit
- 256 GB M.2 SSD storage, 8 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM, 802.11ac (2x2) and Bluetooth 4.0 combo wireless, Intel HD Graphics 520, 2 USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2(Thunderbolt); 1USB 3.1 Gen 1 1 headphone/microphone combo
Designed with a single block of aluminum and precise computer-controlled process, it is very compact in size where every inch is put to work, giving you a sleek, ultrathin and lightweight device. There’s an amazing security option, where you can press F1 to activate privacy mode, making your screen appear dark to everyone but you, securing your confidential data. You can log into your device in any mode with a simple touch of your finger upon the fingerprint reader. With an 88 degree wide-angle field of view in the HP wide vision FHD IR camera, you can log in safely through Windows Help and video chat with your friends and family. You can use your HP Spectre x360 in multiple modes: laptop mode to browse your projects, e-mails, spreadsheets to multi-task with a backlit keyboard and extra-wide trackpad. Tablet to take notes and draw with the pen that feels as natural as a pen on paper. Stand to watch, which is perfect for streaming videos and shows. And finally, a tent which is ideal for giving presentations or sharing photos.
With up to 16 GB high memory capacity which helps provide optimum multitasking experience, and you can also charge your phone, tablet, and other devices from your laptop while it’s asleep or hibernating. The HP Spectre x360 includes an 8th generation Intel Core i5/i7 processor, which facilitates multitasking and improves speed. SSD storage is available in capacities up to 1TB. The Battery life is astounding with 16 hours and 45 minutes on the 13.3 inches Spectre x360 and 12 hours and 45 minutes on the 15.6 inches Spectre x360, so you can spend your whole day without worrying about recharging.
- Ultra-thin and light-weight design
- Fast keyboard
- The battery lasts long and charges quickly
- Lacks SD card reader
- Battery life deteriorates with the 4K display
A stylish design combined with a super-slim build, amazing 4K display and high speed, the latest version of the HP Spectre x360 makes it as an ideal high-end convertible laptop.
7. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga – The Best in Portability
- VOTED BEST LAPTOP AT CES 2018: The ThinkPad laptop computer includes robust security features, like ThinkShutter, which covers the front-facing HD webcam, and match-on-chip fingerprint readers with anti-spoofing technology that helps to safeguard company data while featuring a more secure way to authenticate log-in credentials.
- 2 in 1 LAPTOP: The innovative Rise and Fall Keyboard on the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga adapts to you; when you fold it into Laptop Mode, the keys rise so you can easily create a spreadsheet or write a report, then when you fold it into itself for Tablet Mode, the keys recess and lock. Y
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga is equipped with the new 8th generation Intel Quad Core processor, plus ultra fast memory with LPDDR3 to keep you productive wherever you are.
- LONG LASTING BATTERY: Lenovo ThinkPad laptop delivers up to 15 hours of battery life, plus if you’re running low, the RapidCharge technology provides 80% capacity in just an hour. So a 60-minute lunch break or a layover can easily boost your battery up to 12 hours.
- DURABLE DESIGN: Tested against 12 military-grade requirements and passing more than 200 quality checks, this laptop computer is designed to withstand work, travel, fun, and anything else you can throw at it.
The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga comes with great versatility. It has a 360-degree hinge and features a built-in rechargeable pen, with full inking capability supported in all Office 2016 apps. Improved security, OLED display option, and ThinkPad and support. You get an immersive experience with the OLED display on the 14 inches screen with more vibrant colors and the sharper contrast between dark and light areas.
The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga can be used in laptop mode to create spreadsheets or write reports (see: best laptops for writers), and then folded into itself in tablet mode, and the Wave keyboard recesses and locks the keys; so you get a mixture of comfort and convenience with the completely flat surface.
It also has WiFi connectivity with Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A available. The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga has a battery that lasts up to 15 hours, and a rapid charging feature to provide 80% in just one hour. There’s also Thunderbolt 3 technology that allows you to transfer 40 GB/s from your USB-C port.
- Gorilla glass screen protection
- Brilliant connectivity
- The keyboard is spillproof and backlit
- Extended durability
- Battery life isn’t the longest
- Not very slim or light
With an added OLED display of higher resolution, the business convertible hybrid Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga is a great attraction to creative minds.
From the perspective of ultra-probability, it’s the best business laptop.
8. Dell XPS 15 – The Best 15-inch Business Laptop 2020
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
- 16GB DDR4-2400MHz up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
- 1TB PCIe Solid State Drive, No Optical Drive
- 15.6-inch 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
The Dell XPS 15 provides a 15.6 inches screen on the smallest size possible, with an Infinity Edge display, it almost looks borderless and maximizes screen space, thanks to a bezel measuring just 5.7 mm. The Dell XPS 15 also has UltraSharp 4K Ultra HD display (3840 x 2160), you can see each detail of every pixel without even zooming in! It has 6 million more pixels than Full HD and 3 million more than MacBook Pro, so you can edit images with great precision with no regard for blurriness or jagged lines. There is easy collaboration providing a wide viewing angle of up to 170 degrees.
Latest 7th generation Intel Quad Core processor and GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card provide excellent performance. Memory supports up to 32GB and storage up to 1TB.
The battery lasts up to an astonishing 19.5 hours when used for productivity like using Word or Excel, while it lasts up to 11.5 hours when used for streaming movies and shows. There’s also the optional Dell Power Companion which will give you extra runtime with 9 additional hours of productivity for your laptop.
The Thunderbolt 3 port allows you to charge your laptop, connect to multiple devices (including support for up to two 4K displays) and transfer data up to 40 GB/s which is faster than USB 3.0. And it also includes two USB 3.0 ports.
You can interact with the screen by pinching, zooming, and clicking through the touchpad which prevents jumping and floating cursors, while Accidental Activation Prevention stops unintentional clicks when your palm touches the touchpad. You can also sign in with no password with the optional fingerprint reader that gives you a fast and secure way to unlock the device.
- Designed stylishly
- Good battery life
- Excellent screen
- Great CPU and GPU performance
- Quite heavy
- Noisy fans
Relatively compact, the Dell XPS 15 offers both great gaming and working experiences, at an affordable price, with a powerful vivid 4K screen display & with no doubt it’s the best business laptop in 15-inch screen.
Buyer’s guide for business laptops
When you’re deciding on which business laptop you should buy, there are a couple of things that you have to consider. First, because you want to buy something that doesn’t always tick the boxes of the best laptop in general. Second, because you want to make the optimum decision and pick out the finest laptop at the most suitable price.
- Build Quality
Since business laptops are designed to be more durable, they have stronger exteriors and more sustainable chasses. They also have spill-resistant keyboards, track point navigation, accelerometers that sense a laptop’s freefall to secure its hard drive and pad it from shocks and drops, and strong metal hinges to secure the laptop’s screen to its base. All of these are qualities not found on regular consumer laptops.
It’s also likely that you’ll be carrying your business laptop around with you. While not the lightest devices ever, they won’t be too heavy and should fit in most bags (see: best laptop bags for men or alternatively the best laptop bags for women).
- Software and service
Business laptops come with built-in tools that are fundamental to their target base. They offer back-up and restore tools, maintenance software to keep the laptop’s drivers and other services updated and fresh, and improved video conferencing tools.
They have an extended warranty, which gives the customer more reassurance than a regular short-term warranty given with the average consumer laptop.
One cool feature with the more modern business laptops is the ability to connect to wireless monitors, saving you one less wire to connect. You just need to make sure that your monitor is capable of this (see our guide on the wireless computer monitor).
Almost all ThinkPads, Probook, and Vostros have an option of having Intel vPro support, security is of utmost importance when it comes to business laptops and is dealt with absolute prudence.
They have an option to include Trusted Platform Module chips to encrypt the whole hard drive and safeguard passwords more strongly than ever. This makes a business laptop way more secure and safer to use and store data upon than any of its consumer counterparts.
- Matte Screens
Business laptops are designed to help you work better, that’s why they all have non-reflective, non-glossy, matte screens.
That’s because they are better for reading lengthy texts or watch videos or give presentations without irritating distractions that obstruct the screen.
- Battery extensions
Since work could require a large amount of time, or teamwork so you have to take your laptop outside, business laptops come with battery boosting options.
Usually, business laptops that are sold with only a three-cell battery have their OEM (Original equipment manufacturer) develop six-cell or nine-cell battery upgrades to be convenient to all-day use.
Business laptops also have a docking port to facilitate docking into universal port replicators, charging stations, and other accessories that are compatible with them to maximize their functionality.
Our recommendation for the best business laptop for 2020:
- Lenovo ThinkPad T470 – Best Business Laptop 2020 for Windows users.
- Apple MacBook Pro – Best Business Laptop 2020 for Mac users.