If you’ve got a low bandwidth Wi-Fi router or it frequently cuts out, then you’re hindering your Switch online gameplay. And really, there’s no need to be doing that.
You need to change, and you need to find the best LAN adapter for Nintendo Switch.
A good LAN adapter for Switch will get rid of any buggy Wi-Fi issues, and you’ll be able to game, online, interruption-free.
It may also allow you to play the game in higher resolution with better graphics, in which case you’ll want a good gaming monitor to keep up:
- Check out our buyers’ guide to the best gaming monitors under 200.
So, here they are – four of the best Nintendo Switch ethernet adapters.
The Best Ethernet Adapter for Nintendo Switch
- Hori Official Nintendo Switch Lan Adapter – best official LAN adapter for Nintendo Switch.
- Smays Ethernet Adapter – Amazon’s choice LAN adapter for Nintendo Switch.
- TP-Link USB to Ethernet Adapter – best portable LAN adapter for Switch.
- UGREEN 3 Port LED Adapter – fastest Nintendo Switch ethernet adapter.
1. Hori Official Nintendo Switch Lan Adapter – best official LAN adapter for Nintendo Switch
- Officially Licensed by Nintendo
- LAN Adapter for Nintendo Switch
- Fast and stable wired internet connection
- Perfect for online multiplayer
- Plugs into Nintendo Switch Dock
The first Switch LAN adapter on our list is the officially licensed adapter released by HORI.
The official license from Nintendo brings with it two significant consequences.
The first is that you can rely on this model. It’s guaranteed to work, you don’t need to spend time worrying about compatibility, and you know it’s been designed for this very purpose. The second is that it is, and will always be, the most expensive LAN adapter for Switch. This is always the case with licensed products.
The surety of the former is supposed to drive the price of the latter, but you have to ask yourself: does the license matter to you? Given that the other models on this also all work with Switch, it shouldn’t matter that much.
The HORI adapter operates up to 1Gbps, it supports the three different ethernet standards, and has single USB 3.0 and ethernet RJ-45 connectors.
One neat feature, however, is that it has a 7.5-inch cable. Other cables on our list are a lot shorter. The longer cable gives you more flexibility and allows you to hide the cables better.
- Officially licensed product.
- 1Gbps speeds.
- Most expensive.
2. Smays Ethernet Adapter – Amazon’s choice LAN adapter for Nintendo Switch
- Weak wireless connection / no Ethernet port? Try our reliability wired internet connectivity USB adapter
- Supports 10/100M fast network
- Recommended accessories for anyone who plays online multiplayer (smash bros) video games on Switch / Wii / Wii U or any other console; Plug into the USB port on the console and connect an Ethernet cable
- Metal aluminum silver casing; ACT LINK light; 4-Inch USB 2.0 cable, the right length for Switch Dock
- Compatible with Apple Mac book laptop, Microsoft Surface, Windows 10 laptop, Ubuntu Linux laptop, ultra laptop, HP Omen/Sleekbook laptop, Dell laptop, Asus, LG, Lenovo, Acer notebooks, IBM 900x laptop, Compaq Presario laptop 64-bit win 10 version, PC; Works excellent for laptops that do not have a built-in Ethernet port
The next LAN adapter for Switch on our list is the Smays LAN adapter.
The Smays is compatible with the Switch or another major console.
When it comes to design, the Smays is very good. It has a metal silver case which gives it a robust premium feel, making it feel like a much more expensive product than it is. It also has a 4-inch cable, which isn’t as long as the HORI, but is long enough to offer good flexibility.
Turning now to price, the Smays is the least expensive on our list. But, because of its build quality, it certainly doesn’t feel cheap.
It works with all standards of ethernet connection, it has a single RJ-$% connector, and it has a single USB 2.0 connection – this could be improved to USB 3.0.
The one downside of this premium metal product is that it doesn’t reach 1Gbps, it only reaches 480 Mbps. That probably isn’t going to be enough for certain games, particularly as they advance.
- Cheapest on our list.
- Amazon’s choice for LAN adapter.
- USB 2.0 connection.
3. TP-Link USB to Ethernet Adapter – best portable LAN adapter for Switch
- USB Ethernet Adapter: UE305 is a USB 3.0 male A to RJ45 female ethernet adapter which connects your computer or tablet to a router or network switch for wired network connection. It adds a standard RJ45 port to your Ultrabook, notebook for file transferring, video conferencing, gaming, and HD video streaming
- Gigabit Networking for Fast, Stable Data Transfers: Full 10/100/1000Mbps gigabit ethernet, faster and more reliable than most wireless connections. USB powered, no external power required. Backward compatible with USB 2.0/1.1
- Plug and Play in Nintendo Switch: UE305 helps connect your Nintendo Switch to a wired network system, a much faster and more stable network environment than a WiFi connection. Enjoy super-fast and high-quality downloading on your Nintendo Switch
- Foldable and Portable design ideally suits your Ultrabook: The UE305 USB RJ45 adapter is mini and portable, perfect to take on the go
- Wide Compatibility: Just plug in and be ready to use in seconds—no manual driver installation required. The intuitive LED indicator lets you know the network status at a glance. Plug & Play is enabled for Nintendo Switch, Windows 10/8.1, and Linux OS.*Do Not Support Windows RT and Android
Whilst the previous two adapters we looked at have healthy-sized cables, the next on our list doesn’t. That’s because it’s incredibly compact and intended for portability.
The TP-Link USB has an ultra-compact design. It measures 1.0 x 2.8 x 0.6 inches, so no bigger than a USB. It also has a foldable flat cable that can be bent backward and collapsed into the body of the adapter.
Its low profile makes it great for transportation, and you can easily fit it inside your Switch carry case.
The TP-Link allows for speeds up to 1Gbps, so you’ve got more than enough speed for almost all Switch tasks. File downloads will also be sped up thanks to its use of USB 3.0.
One nice feature is its LED light, which indicates the status of your network connection. This is a subtle feature, but can really help on those rare occasions when you’re having connection issues.
As we just mentioned, this unit is ultra-compact and has a very short cable. And, whilst this is great for portability, it does mean your set-up will be limited. You’re going to have cable visible, and your options for positioning will be restricted.
- LED connection indicator.
- Ultra-compact design for great portability.
- 1 Gbps speeds.
- Very short cable limits set-up.
4. UGREEN 3 Port LED Adapter – fastest Nintendo Switch ethernet adapter
- Ugreen Wired Network Adapter USB Hub: Expand your laptop or desktop with 3-port USB 3.0 hub and a RJ45 gigabit ethernet port, especially a flexible solution compatible for Macbook Air, Nintendo Switch, iMac, iMac Pro, Surface laptop, ultrabook, notebook and computer featuring USB A interface.
- Support Max 1000Mbps: This LAN Network Adapter offers full 10/100/1000 Mbps fast Ethernet performance over USB 3.0 and Ethernet ports, faster and more reliable than most wireless connections.
- 3-Port USB 3.0 Hub Rate Up to 5Gbps, Ugreen USB Hub Ethernet Adapter simply helps you to connect up to 3 USB A devices to your PC or Laptop, such as external hard drive, USB flash drive, mouse, keyboard, USB headphone, speakers, USB webcam etc.
- Widely Compatible for Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite; The gigabit ethernet adapter with USB 3.0 hub supports Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS and Linux. Compatible with IEEE 802.3, 802.3u and 802.3ab (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T). Chipset AX88179. Note: Plug and Play only for Windows 10/8.1/8,Driver needed for Windows 7/XP, Mac OS and Linux systems.NOTE:Plug and Play only for Chrome OS, Windows 10/8.1/8. Driver needed for Windows 7/XP/Vista, Mac OS and Linux.
- DC-Jack designed for power supply to this product when connecting USB HDD. Please kindly note: this product Only works with DC 5V (Center Positive Polarity) adapter for power supply. (Power plug sold separately).
The last Nintendo Switch ethernet adapter on our list has something the others don’t: additional USB ports.
The additional USB ports on the UGREEN ethernet adapter allow it to do much more than the other entries. So, if you’re looking for a versatile unit, this is the right one.
The three USB 3.0 ports allow you to connect external storage drives, keyboard, mice, or anything else USB-powered that you might need to use on your Switch. Moreover, if you’re not using it for your switch and you’re shifting to a laptop, that extra functionality will be very helpful.
Along with this, it can take speeds of up to 5Gbps, making it the fastest Switch LAN adapter on our list. Moreover, the UGREEN is compatible with all standards of ethernet, so you won’t have any issue with your Switch connection.
As with the previous adapter, the UGREEN has an LED to indicate the quality of the connection. Another nice touch that makes this a great overall product.
Lastly, if you use additional HHD storage through this device, you can deliver power via DC5 power source into the adapter. The downside is that the power source doesn’t come with the LAN adapter.
- Well priced.
- 3 USB ports for added connectivity.
- Low-quality feel – plastic and unappealing look.
- DC5 power source not included.